Friday, April 8, 2011

Extreme Couponing

The other day I watched TLC's new show 'Extreme Couponing' and I have to say I was both amazed and appalled. While I admire the amount of money these women are saving I couldn't help but think there is something wrong with them as well.

Their homes look like grocery stores because they purchase everything in very large quantities. One woman purchased 60 bottles of mustard! There is no way you will ever use that much mustard. I think in the five years Jesse and I have been married we have used maybe three bottles of mustard.  One of the families had seven kids, so there's was a little easier to understand, but she still had shelving units set up in her bedroom and toilet paper stacked underneath her son's bed.

Yes, it was amazing to watch them go to the checkstand with their boxes of 2,500 coupons. Yes, I was impressed by how much money they saved: her bill was $1,900 and she only paid $100. But I still don't understand why you need that much stuff! In some circumstances it looks more like you are watching 'Hoarders' than a show about coupons.

4 comments:

The Waldram Family said...

Ugh...I totally agree! It becomes an addiction for some women. I coupon (granted I buy maybe one or two items) and get so annoyed when I go to the store and somebody has wiped the store out of everything. No one needs 60 bottles of mustard. Plus, half the stuff that there is coupons for is processed junk...so you really don't need that much stuff.

Cotter said...

Amen!!

Zane and Lexi said...

I agree. It seems to be more like a hobby/sport! Plus, time is money - think how long it is taking them to search, organize and stratigize! Is it really worth it?

Me said...

I agree! They are taking hours and hours to get all these coupons. I think its great to save money and have discipline in finding some good coupons, but dude, you've got kids, what are they doing for 6-8 hrs while your couponing?