Monday, March 28, 2011

How Much is Too Much?

I recently joined the 21st century and got a phone that has apps and all those fun things. Gavin has always loved to play with phones as most kids do.  However, now that he has discovered the games and activities on my phone he wants to play with it all the time! 

I'm fascinated at how he knows how to swipe the screen and sometimes I feel like he knows how to work this thing better than I do. The other day he even changed my wallpaper.  Oh, and if you happen to receive a random phone call from me, or a text message typed in a different language it was probably from Gavin (he did both of these things the other day).

To satisfy his technology desires we bought him his own "phone.".  It is a Leapfrog that has games and the alphabet and all that jazz. The thing I'm struggling with is how much is too much? We did not have any of these things when we were kids; I think Nintendo was my first exposure to technology.  But Gavin will grow up with computers, ipads, cell phones, etc.  I don't know if these things are good for his mind or if they are frying his brain.

I'm trying to only let him play with educational things on my phone, or on the computer.  And when he watches TV it's usually Nick Jr., Seasame Street or Disney Channel. I think I'm going to have to start setting time limits on some of these things which is something I never expected would be necessary for a three-year-old.

I know every parent has their own opinions on TV usage and computer games.  I will be honest; sometimes I use these things as 'babysitters' so that I can take a minute to breathe and I'm definitely not ashamed of that. I'm just trying to find a balance between the good parts of technology and the excessive use of it.


4 comments:

The Waldram Family said...

My kids are only a little over 3 months old and they are already addicted to TV...but they aren't watching good stuff like Sesame Street or Disney Channel. They are watching all of the junk that I watch...reality TV :O Oh well, I need to keep my sanity! Plus, how bad can Real Housewives be for a 3 month old ???? Hahaha! Hopefully their addiction will subside when I can finally take them outside without it being windy or freezing :)

How are you feeling? Are you feeling done yet? I totally agree with you on the pregnancy post times 2! I feel that I got jipped out of the second trimester where you feel great! I went from morning sickness to awkward hugeness :)

Elise Harris said...

at least hes not listening to rihanna.

Grandma Julie said...

Don't worry! You are doing a great job. He is growing up in a technology time! My grandson put on my phone a number and saved it as a phone number with his picturefrom my photo album. He is one. These kids are very bright! Good Luck. Keep doing what you are doing.

Melissa said...

We just got an ipad and there are tons of educational games for toddlers that I want Aly to learn...but I've also been avoiding showing it to her because I know once I do she'll want to play it all the time....