Monday, April 16, 2007

Church Calling

Ok, so Jesse and I have been in our new ward since January. It is a downtown ward so we have young couples (students) and older people; there isn't really anything in between. I don't know if we even have a primary.
Anyways, I was called into the bishop's office yesterday to receive a calling. I wasn't too thrilled because I was hoping I would not get a calling in the ward because I don't know how long we will be there. We are hoping to move out of the mortuary pretty soon.
Well, I can't believe what they have asked me to do! GOSPEL DOCTRINE TEACHER!!!! My jaw literally dropped when they asked me. Like I know anything about gospel doctrine!
I asked them if I could have some time to think about it so I still don't know what I'm going to do. I would only have to teach once a month, which is nice, but I would be so worried that someone would ask me a question and I would have no idea what the answer is.
So I have a lot to think about this week. I absolutely hate saying "no" to a calling but I just don't know if I can do this one!
HELP!!
(thank you for listening to my dilemma!)

7 comments:

Jobove - Reus said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cotter said...

Um you say yes and then have faith that you will be able to fulfill it. Cheesey but true... this coming from someone who has been in a ward for almost a year and still doesn't have a caliing. Easy for me to say, huh!?!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Lyndsay! (although I am the ward music chairperson... easy for me to say as well) But you would do a great job, and maybe it will help motivate you to move sooner!

Zane and Lexi said...

brynn - that is so scary - I have a hard time speaking in church, let alone teaching...I was joking with Zane the other day that he gets all the spiritual callings (bishopric, sunday school pres.) and I have the "made up" callings (friendship commitee leader) but I am not complaining. Good Luck!!

Bart and Michelle said...

Oh Wow!! Yeah, I can see why you're feeling that way! That is one scary calling, but I'm sure you'll be fine if you decide to accept it. Depending on your ward, a lot of times you can just get into a discussion and let everyone else do all the talking! :) Good luck, Brynn!

Barb said...

Brynn- I think you'd do a great job! Some of the BEST lessons I've ever heard were from humble teachers- the Spirit was always so strong then! I think the fact that it would be challenging is one of the best reasons to accept it! Good luck!

Mr. D said...

We love when we discover new blogging friends! We found you from the link from the Harrisons!
Sometimes callings can be a huge streatch but we know you will do a great job! Just make sure you discover who makes good comments and if all else fails, continually call on them to enrich your lesson!