I'm a little hesitant to post this because it means I have to admit I watch the Kardashians. But yes, I admit it! I watch their shows, I look at their pictures in the magazines, I follow what is going on in their lives (or at least what they want the media to show is going on in their lives.)
I watched the entire wedding special for Kim and Kris and yes, I wish I had those two hours of my life back. I was not surprised when she filed for divorce; they never really seemed to compliment each other. So of course I've been watching 'Kourtney and Kim Take New York' to see how their marriage played out and frankly, I'm very disturbed by watching it implode.
From what I can tell (and this was highlighted in last week's episode) Kim is a neat-freak! She needs everything to be clean and organized all the time. Her wonderful husband likes to leave his crap laying around just to bother her. I know we sometimes like to push the buttons of our loved ones but seriously! You are newlyweds acting like college roommates; trying to bug the other person with your habits. That is just strange to me.
However, the biggest problem I have with all of this is I feel like they gave up on their marriage without even trying to fix their issues. People always say 'the first year of marriage is the hardest' and I agree in some sense (until the babies come of course!). When you are first married you are thrown into a situation where you are probably living together for the first time and you are together 24 hours a day. I felt like it was a huge adjustment when I first got married and yes, looking back during some situations it would have been really easy to just quit and get a divorce. Luckily that thought has never crossed my mind.
If you don't like the way your husband arranges his socks, you don't divorce him! If you can't stand the way your spouse watches TV until 2 a.m. you don't divorce him! All the silly things that come up during those first years of marriage need to be talked about and you need to take the time to adjust to the habits of your significant other. I'm definitely not a marriage expert but I see so many young couples quitting before they even give their marriage a chance to thrive. You can have a fairy-tale marriage but be prepared to be annoyed by your spouse sometimes and that's ok!!!! Don't run to a divorce lawyer the second things get tough.
I'm worried the 'Kardashian effect' may influence young girls to give up on their marriages because it is the easy way out. Yes, I realize there are some circumstances where divorce is necessary and is definitely the better option. But marriage should be looked at as something sacred; not just another stepping stone in your life and not something dispensible. I hope young couples will take it seriously when they say "I do" and please don't follow Kim Kardashian's example!
1 comment:
Amen to that! Very well said but you have to remember that thes Kardashians live in a different world then most people. My wife watches the show and I get suckered into watching it too. Apparently she made more money than she spent on the wedding, ha! It was all a plan, a publicity stunt in my mind and it all worked!!! I bet E loves them too, each shows seems to get better ratings each season....... so for whatever reason those of us who watch it are supporting it. But yes, divorce is the easy way out and it happens way too often!!
I like this post!! It just needs a trashy pic of Kim K, ha ha!!
Post a Comment